Is It Better To Hire An Electrician Or Electrical Contractor, Or Do It Yourself?
How many of us take it for granted that electricity will always be there? When we face a power outage or one of our appliances break, that is when we seem to realize how much electricity plays a role in our daily life.
Unless you’re an experienced electrician, it is always better to hire an electrical technician whenever you are faced with any home electrical problems or upgrades, be it fixing an electrical appliance, troubleshooting a problem, or running new lines.
If you’re a “do it yourself” personality, consider the old adage ‘you don’t know what you don’t know’. A trained professional has had more time and experience on the job than a weekend warrior. Such a professional also comes with all the safety equipment needed to make the job accident-free, whereas most do it yourselfers don’t. Below are a few tips that will help you have the safest experience possible.
1. Always call an expert if you’re not one. A good electrician has all the required knowledge and experience to deal with electrical complications and therefore they are able to analyze the situation better and handle it accordingly.
2. Electricity may be simple to some people, but that doesn’t make it any less dangerous. It takes less than one-tenth of an amp to stop your heart. Most outlets run upwards of 10-15 amps.
3. Almost all electrical appliances lose their warranty if you’re not trained and certified to fix them. An electrician helps you keep those warranties, and can usually get parts faster.
4. Electricians have insurance for accidental injuries on the job. Many insurances don’t cover hobbies and DIY projects.
5. A professional electrician can also answer any questions you may have, so that you can make a better informed decision on all your electrical needs. Having that knowledge base usually takes a lot more time than most of us have to acquire.
Hiring an electrician is no doubt the best thing you can do when you’re confronted with electrical service problems, but also remember you need to choose a good, reliable electrician in order to make sure that the situation is taken care of in the most efficient and safe way. A great electrician can be found by word of mouth, in your local yellow pages, or even on the internet.
Once you decide to hire one, make sure that you ask for a written estimate and references. Do not just opt for one based on price. Try to find out how reliable they are for major work, and if they’re worth the price they charge. If you have gone about finding an electrician properly, you can be sure that you will get good and quality work done and you can rely on them for future jobs as well.
You only have to be unsafe around electricity once. For your family’s sake, don’t chance it.